Wednesday, January 31, 2007

into the frying pan...


my favorite way of cooking is on the stove. i have no microwave(please don't give me one, i really just don't want one)and i have to get on my knees and light a pilot light to use our oven, so stove it is. Between scraping eggs off metal pans and absorbing carcinogens from teflon coated death pans, i have found that my favorite kitchen tool is my cast iron pan.

iron is a safe and even beneficial substance to cook on, and you get an upper body work out moving it around. when it has charred food stuck to it, fill it half way up with water and boil it for a few minutes, then it wipes right off. all you have to do then is empty the water and return it to the hot burner until the water has evaporated(to avoid rusting). then you drizzle some canola oil on it to make a healthy and happy little pan.

the best part about these pans is that if you don't use soap on them(never use soap on them) they will outlive your grandchildren. i have 2 pans that i got right after my wedding. one i exchanged some stuff and bought one new, and the larger, i got handed down to me. so used and new alike, they are the best pans i have ever used.
stores you can find them at:
st. vincent de paul
goodwill
your moms garage

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Yeah! IT'S ALL TRUE.

10:37 PM  
Blogger colorfulveggies said...

I agree! The bottomless vault of Scout treasure in the garage has supplied half a dozen such pans to various members of the family. I can also recommend a cast iron Dutch oven for pot roast, stew, and soups.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home